How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7489
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

A mother is living in the house with her son. The son is

This answer was rated:

A mother is living in the house with her son. The son is over 60, and the mother in her 90's. If the mother goes into care, the property cannot have a charge placed against it at the Land Registry.
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Peterborough
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Does the son have to have lived there a certain time, or not.

Good evening

How long has the son been living there?

Does the son have another property ?


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One year the son has lived there
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The son does not have another property
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is ok, I dont need the phone call anyway. The answers to the questions from the solicitor are. How long has the son been living there? ... answer 1 year. Does the son have a anther property? Answer = No.

Hi you do not need a phone call

The house would be disregarded and no charge can be placed against it.

There is no specific time limit although if a relative occupied the house thew same week as the owner went into care this would not be regarded as genuine occupation.

If there are any further points kindly reply I will b e happy to respond.

Otherwise, please either accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes


Michael Holly and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you