JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

My fellow freeholder 2 of us have submitted one quote of

Customer Question

my fellow freeholder 2 of us have submitted one quote of £1200 plus vat for a leak in the roof the roof work were done 6 years ago and i am asking for another quote and guarantees fo the works when they were done am i correct in asking for these
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no he sent me an email detailing costs to repair Clean and prime two top and inner faces of parapet wall, including the mansarde
When dry, torch on a high performance felt cap sheet to the opt and inner face
Carry out minor repair to the velux windows roof cover where a small crack has appeared
Am I right that you approve of these repairs? Needless to say they are urgent, especially with the wet weather. suggested we get another quote and photos and were the works under guarantees as only 6 years old
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: n w5 london
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: improvising saying this Hi James,
Following our telephone conversation, and moving forward with the matter of the Roof. Leaving all other matters aside for the time being, which we can have separate conversations about another time.
Im not saying no to this however we do need to follow the following matters through before I can agree, and am sure you can see Im being reasonable.
1/. The works were done only a few years ago, why is it leaking, its a new job, there is a mention of a small crack to the velux windows roof covers, is this the cause?  You told me that you haven't carried out any additional works there. Im guessing these works were done approx 5-6 years ago, What claim do we have against the builders? are there any guarantees in place? Are the works still under warranty in order that we can get them back to repair and make good at no cost to us?2/ Im not trying to be obstructive but Its standard practice when dealing with an amount like this to get a couple of quotes so we can gauge whether we are getting a good price or not, and also get some pictures so we can see whats going on and get a report.I know a very good roofing contractor Liam Mcqueeny  *****@******.*** http://www.lmq-roofing.com  It would be a good idea for him to come and give us quotes for these works and a report.Then we have something to compare.Can we get some photos from E &D?
Best
Greg
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you this evening.

Yes, you do have a right to ask for the guarantees - you have up to 6 years to sue the builder for faulty workmanship and the time period starts from the date the leak occurred.

When was it first noticed?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i would have to ask the upstairs freeholder the quote for the job is dated 21 11 19
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i will find out tomorrow for sure
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

No problem, thanks - I will be available