How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 5398
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My son has a lease on a very small barbers shop. The

Customer Question

My son has a lease on a very small barbers shop . The property was sold and the new landlord has become very hard to work with. The rent to the previous owner was £750 per quarter no vat the new landlord is now charging £150 vat . He paid his normal rent £750 for the last 2 quarters and asked for a vat invoice for the £150 we got 1 and we paid the £150 vat but the 1st month we only got an invoice showing £625 plus vat totalling £750. He has now walked into the shop in front of customers being very abusive demanding the £150 by tomorrow of my son will be evicted. What are our rights please
Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: we have had no paperwork just verbal abuse
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: goole East Yorkshire
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: can we come out of the lease early? We had a breake clause but went past this with the old owners
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 7 months ago.
Hi thank you for your message, do you know the wording of the break clause? This normally means with a break clause that you can use the break clause after say 6 months but that the break clause does not cease to be exercisable you could use it after 8 months for example. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will have to view the wording, but what about the eviction for not paying the £150?
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 7 months ago.

Hi thank you for your message, it is not clear your son has failed to pay money owed and in any event the landlord cannot just keeping him out without any notice or very little notice.