How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 9886
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I rent a flat in Bexley. Here is the landlords

Customer Question

I rent a flat in Bexley. Here is the landlords fridge/freezer. It is not working since two month. Asked the landlord to send someone to fix it. He sent an engineer fiur weeks ago and he told this is not fixable. Called my landlord and told him. He promised me he will buy a new fridge/freezer but still didn't buy it since four weeks. The landlord is the Trigg&Co company. I called them several times but still I have no fridge/freezer. I called Housing Ombudsman and Property Ombudsman but nobody help me. What can I do please?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

By law, landlords must ensure the property is in good repair under S.11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985.

If they do not, they face prosecution by the local council and can be fined.

I would therefore contact your local council (the housing department) in the first instance to report the matter and you would either have the option of paying for repairs yourself and withholding rent, or you pursue the landlord for the money in a small claim.

If the landlord does not pay or if they refuse for whatever reason, you can sue them in the county court for your losses on the money claim site ( although I recommend sending the landlord a letter before action to warn them of your intentions first and allow them 14 days to reimburse you. If they do not reimburse, you are free to issue a claim.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 months ago.

Good morning, if you could please leave a rating and click “submit” I would be very grateful.

Or if you can confirm whether I answered the question to your satisfaction.

Many thanks,