Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I’m staying in an apartment leased by my wife who was taken

Hi, I’m staying in an apartment leased by my wife who was taken to hospital with tmi, and had to undergo 2 rounds of brain surgery so is currently unable to even speak. Her landlord said that as I’m not on the lease I have to leave immediately and changed the locks
Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: state? Isn’t this a British site?
Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No inspection has ever been carried out, and there are no issues with upkeep. Just she’s in hospital and I’m not on the lease
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I’ve been informed by other residents that they’ve been told they could be evicted if they let me in the door
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm have you informed the landlord of the situation?
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Yes

I have accepted your telephone call request but it was too late to call. Kindly give me q call at your convenience.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Please could you text your advice to me so that I can show this to the police? Thanks, Scott.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I just spoke to the police, as you advised, and they said there’s nothing they can do as it’s a civil matter

Sorry for the delayed response. This is incorrect, illegal eviction is a criminal matter. I would suggest that you phone your local council immediately and file a complaint against the landlord.

I hope this helps