How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1318
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I’m staying in an apartment leased by my wife who was taken

This answer was rated:

Hi, I’m staying in an apartment leased by my wife who was taken to hospital with tmi, and had to undergo 2 rounds of brain surgery so is currently unable to even speak. Her landlord said that as I’m not on the lease I have to leave immediately and changed the locks
Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: state? Isn’t this a British site?
Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No inspection has ever been carried out, and there are no issues with upkeep. Just she’s in hospital and I’m not on the lease
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I’ve been informed by other residents that they’ve been told they could be evicted if they let me in the door
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm have you informed the landlord of the situation?
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1318
Experience: Lawyer
Joy Nicholas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.


I have accepted your telephone call request but it was too late to call. Kindly give me q call at your convenience.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please could you text your advice to me so that I can show this to the police? Thanks, Scott.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just spoke to the police, as you advised, and they said there’s nothing they can do as it’s a civil matter


Sorry for the delayed response. This is incorrect, illegal eviction is a criminal matter. I would suggest that you phone your local council immediately and file a complaint against the landlord.

I hope this helps