Jak Bowtell
Jak Bowtell,
Experience:  Principal in Data Protection Law at Lambeth Council
106352453

We are tenants in a small block of flats (6 flats). We have

Hello, we are tenants in a small block of flats (6 flats). We have requested permission from our landlord if we can get a dog, and drafted up an agreement detailing how we would be responsible pet owners I.e pay for any damages if caused, clean any mess, ensure no nuisance is caused with training and socialising etc.
The landlord has responded saying they have no issue with us getting a dog however it requires the other flat owners to agree.
We have approached the Property manager who has made contact with all the owners. Three of the owners responded saying no, as they don’t want to set a precedent for other occupants.
Please can you advise what our options are in this situation. We don’t feel that “setting a precedent” is a reasonable response, as it will still be down to each flat owner to allow permission for the occupants get a pet.

Hello, is your tenancy with an individual owner of one of the six flats?

If so your tenancy agreement will tell you what you can and can't do (restrictive covenants). If you have the landlord's permission, preferably in writing to have a dog on the property, no one else can interfere. Where there might be a problem is where the tenants of other flats feel that you are unreasonably interfering with their enjoyment of their property. Then you would be liable to claims of nuisance in tort. So think carefully, although you would be entitled to disregard the property manager's decision as the landlord holds the freehold, you might be opening yourselves up to legal liability if you've got other tenants who disagree with you having a dog and they might use it against you.

Would you mind accepting my initial answer and providing a rating, this ensures I get paid for my time, but I will continue to help you with your subsequent questions on this if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Jak . Thank you for your response. Yes of course I will provide a rating.

In answer to your questions, yes our tenancy is with an individual owner of one of the flats, I think they are a leaseholder. I believe there are different owners for each of the flats, 2 of them are owner occupied and 4 of them are leased out. We have spoken to all the individuals that live in the property and they have all verbally given consent for us to get a dog, however when the property management company formally requested consent from them, three of the owners said no.
Our tenancy agreement states that we must seek permission to get a pet from our landlord, and we have an email from them saying they are happy for us to proceed, as long as the other owners give consent.

As mentioned before we have drafted up an agreement detailing how we will be sensible pet owners and ensure if any damage were to occur we would pay for repairs, and we would ensure no nuisance is caused with proper training.

I suppose my other question would be, if we got the dog. Would the landlord be able to remove us from the property, even though we have significantly improved the property in the short time we have been tenants here.