How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

My Landlord has refused to pay back my deposit despite

This answer was rated:

Hi there, my Landlord has refused to pay back my deposit despite moving out of his property 2 months ago. On paper, the tenency agreement said we had a 12 month contract. We moved out after living in the property for 3months due to change of our economic circumstance. We gave him notice of 6 weeks and paid our rent in full. Can you please advise on what I could do?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: just pleading with him on the phone
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: nw9 5rr
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm did the landlord agree for you to move out early?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
before we moved into the property, we had verbally asked if it would be okay to move out before 12 months and he said it was okay as long as we gave him a month's notice. When we decided to move out he was hesitant, insisting that we had signed a 12 month contract. But hae agreed to pay us back our deposit. So far, out of 1200 pounds owed to us, he has only paid 300 pounds
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he keeps shifting the date to pay the balance. This has caused undue stress for me because I can't move to the next property without the deposit

Your landlord has a legal requirement to protect your deposit under one of the deposit schemes ( Deposit Protection Service (DPS) My Deposits. Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS). The deposit is your money and the landlord should only keep it if you have caused damage in the property, you owe rent to the landlord or you have failed to keep to the tenancy agreement and this means that the landlord has lost money. Your landlord should have sent you a deposit scheme certificate. If your deposit was paid after 1 April 2013 and protected with one of the 3 approved tenancy deposit companies in Northern Ireland, you'll need to follow their procedure. If your deposit was paid after 1 April 2013, but your landlord didn't protect the money with an approved scheme, you should report this to your local council. If your deposit was paid before 1 April 2013 you'll need to write to your landlord asking for the money back and the deposit scheme. If you aren't able to settle the dispute, you'll have to go to small claims court to get your money back. If you would like to instruct a solicitor to represent you, you can find a solicitor through the law society using this function: (you will be able to search by area of expertise and location).

I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer, there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question top right corner and just answer will credit me for helping you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Joy! this is so helpful. I have a solicitor so i will start the process of taking legal action

No problem.I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.

Joy Nicholas and 3 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you