JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Landlord admitted to trying to persuade me from leaving

Landlord admitted to trying to persuade me from leaving property with large “fees” I know I don’t have to pay them, from previous legal advice, but is the act of trying to stop us from leaving with threat of “fees” illegal?

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

It could be construed as harassment, which is either a criminal or a civil offence - depending how serious it is. Harassment is defined as "unwanted conduct designed to cause the victim alarm or distress", there has to be more than one incident of this under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If the landlord is telling you this, whilst you are a tenant then you should report them to the housing department at the council. They may take issue with this and they may tell you this is harassment (which means breach of contract on the landlord's part). So yes, potentially it would be illegal but much depends on the context and whether they have said this to you on more than one occasion.

I hope this helps – if you can please rate the answer by clicking the 5 stars (the top of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Good afternoon, if you could please leave a rating and click “submit” I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Jim