INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I am being sued by a previous contractor I previously used

I am being sued by a previous contractor I previously used to repair damage in my shared ownership property. The contractor has yet to be paid for work(work was completed in july). It was my my managing agent who agreed to the quotes but directed me to instruct them(I guess its because it was me that told him to go ahead with the work to my property). The letter from the contractors solicitor has given me 30days to act.I have since written to my managing agent who gave me 10 day to wait while it goes through the resolve stage of their complaints procedure.
What do I do if the response I get back from the does not resolve the issue, what do you advise I do next?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have since written to my managing agent who gave me 10 day to wait while it goes through the resolve stage of their complaints procedure. The letter had all correpondents attached proving it was agreed by them.
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: London
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Thank you for your query. What exactly is your question in relation to this?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What do do next?

Can you explain the situation further. Are you disputing the work or in dispute with the Managing agent. If so, what is your dispute.

Kindly elaborate further

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The managing agent. The work has been done. The contractor has not been paid by the managing agent as agreed.

Thank you for the clarification.

If that is the case, unfortunately you will have to pay the invoice to the contractor as you had instructed them.

Your claim against the managing agents is a separate action. You should write to them and demand that they reimburse you within 14 days or you will issue proceedings without further notice.

If at the end of the 14 days, they have not paid you, you will have to issue your claim. You will be able to do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you. Unfortunately I do not have the money to pay at all, am I better off allowing it to go to court?

If you do, it would lead to more costs.

You may be better off contacting the solicitors for the Contractors and trying to negotiate a payment plan.