INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I have an enquiry about a shared septic tank sited on

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: i have an enquiry about a shared septic tank sited on neighbours' land. We have right to use (and share costs) in our deeds. The system needs replacing by Jan 2020 re the new regs. The neighbours have tried to get us to pay an inflated amount for a new system and despite our offer
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: oops, contd: ...our offer to share reasonable costs have now stopped all communication and seem to be installing their own system. Can they just cut us off and even if not where does that leave us?
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: The land is around 100 yards away the other side of another neighbour's garden ( who also shares same rights)
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have sent multiple letters seeking to move this forward and are concerned where we will be left if we are cut off or left connected to the old system which will become full and fail

Thank you for your query. If your deeds allow you to tap into the neighbours septic tank and you have to pay a reasonable cost, they cannot just cut you off.

If you have not instructed solicitors, it may be worth doing so at this stage. They should write to the neighbour and demand that the issue be resolved amicably or they take further action through the courts or the lands tribunal.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Many thanks for the prompt reply. Please also advise on my position if they leave us connected to the old (soon-to-be-non-compliant) tank and proceed with installing a new compliant one for themselves without involving us (despite us having said we are willing in principle to share costs of a new system)? We would then be stuck with a non-compliant tank that would need emptying but which is not on our land. Thank you.

Provided you are still tapped into it and have access to it, it would be for you to replace and maintain at your own cost.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thanks that's good for now.

It's a pleasure.

Kindly rate the answer and provide feedback so I can be credited for my time by the Just Answer site.