chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

We have been renting a commercial unit for several years

Hello, We have been renting a commercial unit for several years however our lease came to an end last summer. We agreed new terms with landlords however we are still waiting for the new lease to come through. They don’t seem to be in a hurry. In the meantime however our rent arrears are accruing as we haven’t received any invoices..
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No not really. The other director is saying that we cannot pay rent until the new lease is issued and we then receive a invoice. We keep chasing it up but as I said, it’s been six months the now and nothing has come through
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No not yet
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is the just of it

Thank you for your query. I would suggest that yo8 continue paying as if you do, it would be deemed as your landlord having accepted the rent and the terms of the previous lease carried over unless you had contracted outside of the Landlord and Tennt Act 1954.

If you do not pay, this could.cause further issues as you could be deemed to be in breach.

You should make sure that you keep a record of any payments made.

You should only pay the rent due under the lease. You cannot pay the reviewed amount as you do not know hat this is likely to be.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
One more thing... we haven’t been chased for the rent. Something is going on behind the scenes with the landlord and I suspect a pension fund company has recently acquired the business estate. Nether the less, is there currently an “assumed” contract in place as we are continuing on from a previous lease. Would making a payment help secure our position as we are worried that landlords could use this against us if it suited them and we have a lot of heavy duty equipment in place that we would not be able to move at a moments notice. In fact we would need several months in order to relocate everything. So if we are to make a payment should it cover all arrears or just something, ie, one quarters rent, to takes us into the new lease period? Many thanks. Paul
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Please note this is a commercial lease and we, the remnants, are a limited company.