How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 14923
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

My daughter has just moved into her new house and smelled

This answer was rated:

My daughter has just moved into her new house and smelled gas. She phoned British gas who came out and found a leak but turned off the gas. She then had an engineer come out to repair the leak but he has found a further problem and cannot turn the gas back on until this is repaired. This repair may involve new pipework as the old pipework is in the concrete floor. She needs to get this done asap as she has no heating or hot water. Who is responsible for this cost? and what certification should have been provided by the buyer for the gas and electrical systems?
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: In what respect?
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Poole, Dorset
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don`t think so


Thank you for your query. Is this a rented property or has your daughter just purchased it?

If she has lurchased it, what did the enquiries revealed by the solicitor acting for her reveal?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Purchased it. As this only happened yesterday she cannot speak with her solicitor until tomorrow. What documents or certificates is the seller required to produce for the sale?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Should we wait until her solicitor is available?


There is no obligation on private owners to maintain their own gas and heating systems. There is a legal requirement to maintain and service them in rented properties, but not in your own home.

Therefore, unless the solicitor was told the system was in full working order and was nothing wrong with it, there would be nothing else

the seller may have had it regularly serviced, however there would be no obligation on the seller to do this.

It would be best to speak to the solicitors in the morning and then decide what to do.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks

INC Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you