chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My daughter has just moved into her new house and smelled

My daughter has just moved into her new house and smelled gas. She phoned British gas who came out and found a leak but turned off the gas. She then had an engineer come out to repair the leak but he has found a further problem and cannot turn the gas back on until this is repaired. This repair may involve new pipework as the old pipework is in the concrete floor. She needs to get this done asap as she has no heating or hot water. Who is responsible for this cost? and what certification should have been provided by the buyer for the gas and electrical systems?
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: In what respect?
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Poole, Dorset
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don`t think so

Thank you for your query. Is this a rented property or has your daughter just purchased it?

If she has lurchased it, what did the enquiries revealed by the solicitor acting for her reveal?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Purchased it. As this only happened yesterday she cannot speak with her solicitor until tomorrow. What documents or certificates is the seller required to produce for the sale?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Should we wait until her solicitor is available?

There is no obligation on private owners to maintain their own gas and heating systems. There is a legal requirement to maintain and service them in rented properties, but not in your own home.

Therefore, unless the solicitor was told the system was in full working order and was nothing wrong with it, there would be nothing else

the seller may have had it regularly serviced, however there would be no obligation on the seller to do this.

It would be best to speak to the solicitors in the morning and then decide what to do.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.