Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I have a question on a right of way, Huddersfield west

Hi I have a question on a right of way
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Huddersfield west Yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: spoke to a solicitor and he said it may be better to speak to barrister
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just want to know if pass and repass for all purposes in our deeds means you can drive vehicles along a road over someone elses land which is also a public footpath which is an existing lane
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
there were old buildings on our land ,we pulled them down and built 2 houses ,the road that comes to our house also goes to the new houses at the side of my house which shares the same access road ,which only comes to our property and stops ,so will the new properties have the same rights of access as our property

For all purposes means literally “for all purposes” and that would include vehicles and on foot although many rights-of-way are actually expressed as that although older ones, particularly those from the early 20th-century and before, will often not mention vehicles because it was never envisaged that the world and its mother have a car.

If a piece of land has a right-of-way to it and that piece of land is divided into smaller pieces, each of the pieces enjoys the same right-of-way.

If I have answered your question for you, at the top of the page, you should see a rating facility. Can you please rate my reply 3 stars or more because that really helps me? Please note you are not rating whether it’s favourable, because sometimes you may not get the answer you want, but basically my knowledge and way of dealing.

The thread does not close and I am happy to answer any questions you may have arising from this.