How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7070
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I hav justctaken our a 12 month pay up front rent approx 2

This answer was rated:

I hav justctaken our a 12 month pay up front rent approx 2 weeks ago so £20000 up front and find from the first nt we stayed here the house vibrates all through the nt with trucks going past. It’s not the noise as much as the movement of the house. It rattled as it’s a timber frame house with zinc cladding. I’ve spoke to the agents and they tell me they havnt had any reports before. I’ve asked for the price to be reduced and they said no. They then said put it in writing. Before I do I don’t want to waste time and effort so was after ur advice. Many thanks Andy
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Not yet
Assistant: Where is the house located?
Customer: On Rochdale rd east between Heywood and Rochdale
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just frustrated with it all as the agents told us the road quietens down at nt which it doesn’t and we had a handy man come rd last week to sort out some jobs who is employed by the owner and he told me they are built on sand which is why they move do much

Hello Andy,

Please upload a copy of your agreement and what would you like to ask today?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can’t get the agreement as it’s on my wife’s account email but I wanted to know if I hav any grounds to lower the price or pull out of the agreement all together

As you have already paid 12 months rent upfront, the landlord will put up a fight in you terminating the agreement.

I would suggest that you get a local solicitor to write them a letter saying the property is not habitable due to the vibration and setting out the two options i.e. lower the rent or terminate the agreement (less rent for the time you have been in occupation).

If they refuse, you may then complain to your local authority as well as go to court/tribunal over this.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No that’s fine thank you

You are welcome.

Please click on 5 stars to leave a positive rating.

UKSolicitorJA and 5 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you