How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 23328
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

Im thinking about buying some land and applying for planning

This answer was rated:

HiIm thinking about buying some land and applying for planning for 2 bungalows with driveways etc the plot is a 1/3 of an acreThe problem is they would have to have shaired access through my drive - which obviously i have no problem withMy problem is at the tightes point entering the plot the width of the drive would be 3.5 meters wide - would planning allow this?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No - aution tomorrow
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: To the side of my property
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No not really

Good afternoon. What is it that you would like to know about this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Entering to a new proposed building plot though my drive way (2 bungalows)Entering my drive i have 5 meters width - then at just 1 point of the drive for about 1/2 meter the width is reduced to 3.7 metrersMy question is? Would planning access be granted even though at 1 point the width of the drive is reduced to 3.7 meters

I’m afraid the only answer to that is going to come from the local planning authority but there is no reason why it should refused on that alone.

When it comes to access, the local authority are generally more concerned about extra traffic going onto the road and the width and display visibility at that point.

I the whether it’s possible to widen the drive at that point or whether you are stuck with it because, for example, that is the width between the building the boundary. 3.7 m is still 12 feet wide.

Range Rover is 2.22 m over the mirrors. A transit van is 2.5 m over the mirrors..

Assuming this is your own drive, it probably becomes more of a practical problem for any potential buyers who may not like access over a very narrow drive because although there is plenty of room, for most of the length, there is not a fantastic amount of space at that point.

Why you could not write to the local authority and ask them whether this would be a bar in principle although you will find many local authorities want the money and will insist on a full application being made before they will even open their eyeballs.

I’m sorry, I know this doesn’t give you a definitive answer but the reason is quite simply because the only definitive answer will come from the local planning department

If I have answered your question for you, at the top of the page, you should see a rating facility. Can you please rate my reply 3 stars or more because that really helps me? Please note you are not rating whether it’s favourable, because sometimes you may not get the answer you want, but basically my knowledge and way of dealing.

The thread does not close and I am happy to answer any questions you may have arising from this.

Kind regards

Stuart J and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you