John LLB
John LLB, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

I want to ask about a water leak that has been happening for

Hello! I want to ask about a water leak that has been happening for probably a couple of months in the property that I rent. Does it fall under "has been happening gradually over time"? It's a hidden leak - I can't see where it comes from. Is a tenant liable to pay for the damage?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no, I contacted the agency, they arranged a plumber but said that I will be liable to pay
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello welcome to Just Answer.

Do you have a copy of the contract? The leak needs to be resolved through the home insurance of the building. In the first instance a valuation of the damage needs to be done by a professional, and then the leak identified. This can cost substantial money especially if it is unclear where the leak originates from and this is not the responsibility of the tenant but more so the landlord via his insurers. Unless for some bizarre reason a tenant has signed something to say he will be liable.

Does this assist you? If so, kindly leave a positive rating. Kind regards, John.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you John, that's very useful. No, I don't see anything in my contract except from "minor repairs" - which is not the case here. I'm worried because they mentioned that the damage happened due to my negligence (we both think a leak was gradual, but I did not see it) - is it still covered by the home insurance? Should I provide sufficient proof that I did not know about it?
Did they say what that negligent act is?
It you have been negligent in some way; then yes you may be liable for any damage. But if it is a leak and it is unknown where it is from then the insurance should deal with it.