Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

If i rent a room - a studio within a craft shop - what right

if i rent a room - a studio within a craft shop - what right of entry does the person I rent the studio from?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Not yet. The situation is a bit complicated in that i don't have a written lease. The landlord and I had word yesterday about people from her craft lessons coming into the studio from the workroom next door to use the basin in the studio for water for the crafts. Members of class have been coming into the studio and using my tables to do crafts on. I have asked this use of my tables to stop - I am a silversmith and have tools and chemicals that can be harmful and have been ignored. Up to now I have be okay about the usage of the basin. Yesterday i found that the table had been used again and told the land that in future I would lock the door. She replied that she would just open it again because the crafters needed access to the basin. There are other basins in the building but that would require actually climbing stairs. (yes, I know, right). Before I go in this morning, I would like to know where I stand in terms of this issue.
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: Lurgan, Northern Ireland.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What does our contract say?
Are you in arrears?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No I am not in arrears. Your contract?

Yes, I assume you have a contract to rent the room.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No, it was done verbally. We never got around to sorting out a contract.

Do you have exclusive access?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
To the studio, yes, In that I am able to lock the door between the studio and and room next door. The studio is within the craft shop.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The issue is, if I do not want to allow access to her staff and crafters to make use of the room, whether she has the right to just unlock the door anyway and let them in.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I pay rent for the space - £250 a month.

Then tell her. She can NOT unlock the door.

You can sue her for breach of contract.

You are entitled exclusive use of the room if you are paying it.

As such you can tell her she can NOT use the room.

You can put a padlock on.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Do I have a right to change to lock?

Yes.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
yes. Thank you. That's clarifies. Thanks for your help. I will get back if there is any follow-up.

Pleasure. Can I assist with anything else today?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Not for the moment, thank you.

All the best. If I could invite you to rate me 5 stars before you go today by clicking the button at the top of the screen, so the site credits me for the time spent. I am only paid when you rate. if you need further help please click reply. Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok.

Pleasure