SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

Within a joint tenancy, does rent have to be split fairly

Within a joint tenancy, does rent have to be split fairly according to sqaure footage or can it be split however the tenants decide?

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

The tenants can decide between themselves how to split the rent.

If that answers your query, please rate positively using the five stars at the top of your page. You will still be able to ask clarification questions if you need to, but rating ensures I am paid for the time spent assisting you. .Thank you.

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Is the following split legal?:
GROUNDLOOR:
3.5x4.3m up right on the left and 2x2.3m together: £733 for both rooms
3.5x4.3m: £733

FIRST FLOOR:
4x4.5m (called Reception): £833
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
See below
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sorry, here is the actual breakdown:
Is the following split legal?:
GROUNDLOOR:
3.5x4.3m: £733

FIRST FLOOR:
4x4.5m (called Reception): £873

That doesn't change the response - the tenants can split the rent how they want to, there is nothing illegal about that.

The fact is, if they are joint tenants, they are jointly and severally liable for ALL the rent.

Please accept and rate positively using the five stars at the top of your page as that is how I am paid for assisting you today. You will still be able to ask clarification questions if you need to. Thanks.