Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

I have been put in a flat by the council that I can’t afford

I have been put in a flat by the council that I can’t afford to live in, it’s supposed to be a brand-new flat yet there was leaking a few weeks ago from my roof. I lost my job in November yet the council took me to court and now I’m paying £160 per month for council tax
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I don’t know what paperwork to file
Assistant: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Milton Keynes
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Due to my mental health and the support that I get from my parents I had asked them if I could be as close to my parents as possible there was housing at the time close to my parents place but the council decided to rehouse me very very far from my parents home I don’t drive therefore my daughter would’ve had to take a bus she doesn’t live with me she now lives with her grandparents because her school is walking distance from my parents house so she stays there most of the time
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have been working all my life, even throughout my student years and my pregnancy.I had lived in Milton Keynes most of my life with the exception of my uni years and following my time in London where I worked full time as a store manager.In 2015 I had what I now know was a mental break down following a sexual assault, I came back to Milton Keynes moved in with my parents and then got help from the council following a dispute with them.I was incredibly grateful for the help when I was rehoused by the council. However since coming here I have been spiralling into debt with my mental health deteriorating. due to crippling increasing debt because I can’t afford to live in this house. £706 per month excluding bills council tax everything.
Even if I was working full time and still won’t be able to afford to live here. On top of that my daughter doesn’t w***** *****ve here the area that they rehoused meeting is crime within a dirty Fishermead meat has been in the news plenty of times for stabbings. as well as its lack of safety and being far from her school my daughter doesn’t want to stay here because of
those things.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help with this matter. I understand and sympathise with your situation. Can you tell me what your question is specifically as I would like to help. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would like to leave this flat and be closer to my parents

Ok, can you tell me what the council have said about this matter so far. Have you spoken with any of the housing charities such as Shelter etc?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But you took the fee

sorry I am unable to speak on the phone at the moment. I don't understand what you mean by "took the fee"? I would like to help with this matter so can you tell me what the council have said about this matter so far. Have you spoken with any of the housing charities such as Shelter etc?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you able to call me later as the fee of £44 has been taken when there has been no phone call
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Apologies i called customer service and it’s apparently an automated phone call payment systems that requested the phone call. Very confusing.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Iv tried both the cancel and Shelter I’m not able to get through to both both seem to have a long waiting times. I have expressed in the past to the council that the price is too expensive for me to live in and my daughter doesn’t live here as much as I would want her to because she doesn’t like the area and is not close enough to her at school but they’ve done nothing to rectify the situation all they have said is that I shouldn’t give up my council flat

Ok. thank you. for the information. Firstly, I would continue to speak with Shelter and Council. You will probably make more headway with shelter to be honest. Another thing you should try before looking at legal recourse would be speak to your local citizens advice, they sometimes have people who have worked with shelter etc, they also raise issues with local MP's (which I advise you can also do yourself) This I s an effective method of having your voice heard. However if all else fails then you could look at taking legal action. Now you have stated that you are struggling with funds, so you may be entitled to legal aid (your solicitor would make the application for you) if not you could see if any of the large firms are dealing with these types of matters and may offer a case bro Bono, however, being honest, these are very few and far between. There may be some issues there concerning the Equality Act. If your ailments constitute a disability under the equality act 2010 then the council would have a legal obligation to make reasonable adjustments for you. However, this would require an in depth analysis of the situation by your solicitor. If I were you I would make as much noise as you can (legally of course) with Shelter, Citizens Advice and your local MP, do remember they only have limited powers so be patient with them. However, if all else fails look to see if you can enlist the help of a local solicitor and see if you perhaps qualify for legal aid.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Ross

Ross

Ross

Ross