Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have been married for 20 years. I live alone in my house

Customer Question

I have been married for 20 years. I live alone in my house in France for 6 months of the year, the rest of the time I live with my husband in his house which is in his name. He will not discuss a will. We are both elderly. What would my rights be in terms of inheritance?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No, I have not spoken to a lawyer. I live in Britain
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is little communication between my husband and myself, so I can't discuss this with him. I would just like reassurance that I , or my children , ,should I die before my husband,would stand to inherit from his estate.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 7 months ago.

Hi thank you for your message, so if your husband dies without a will and you survive him and he has no children then you would inherit his entire estate If he has any children (or grandchildren where a child predeceases him) and you who all survive him then the first £325,000 of the estate would be inherited by you and you would also inherit 50% of any remainder about the £325,000 and the rest would go to any surviving children or grandchildren and divided equally between them.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.