Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Ellen, and I'm reaching out with a housing issue, So I'm

Customer Question

Hi Ellen
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: My name is ***** ***** I'm reaching out with a housing issue
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: So I'm based in Kingston My monthly rent is £1650, which I have paid without fail and in advance until Sept 2019. My tenancy started on 30 Nov 2018
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yep. My landlord is now trying to evict me, as I owe £850 in arrears while they still hold my deposit. I just want to know my rights and the steps I can take to avoid an eviction. I have two children living with me at the property
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 6 months ago.

Hi thank you for your message, is there anyway you can pay back the arrears?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can but not lump sum. I had written to the lettings agency who manage the property on behalf of the landlord to agree an arrangement but they are still trying to evict, even though they haven't served me a legal notice yet. And also I have a fixed term contract that will expire in Nov 2020

Hi thank you for your message, I consider the lettings agency would struggle to convince a court you should be evicted as you could make a payment plan. That said, it may be better if you have a lawyer contact you. Therefore, you might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending a LawWorks Clinic. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website: https://www.lawworks.org.uk/legal-advice-individuals/find-legal-advice-clinic-near-you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. I haven't been served a legal notice yet. And the landlords still hold my deposit. I just wondered if I can get a stay on the property pre-emptively

Hi thank you for your message, whilst there are arrears unfortunately you cannot get a stay.