How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 14897
Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My next door neighbour had his front garden lawn taken up

Customer Question

My next door neighbour had his front garden lawn taken up and completely flagged. My garden now floods and it has ruined my lawn and flower beds. Last year I spent £4,000 having drains put in which has helped a little but not solved the problem. He has not had planning position and when I asked the council to do something about it they advised me to seek legal advice. I cannot afford a solicitor. Can you help please.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have confronted my neighbour but he says the flooding is not his fault. I have lived in this house for 50 years and never had a problem before. I. Have not prepared any paperwork.
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Rainhill. Merseyside.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He flagged the garden about 10yrs ago and last year took it all up and had it block paved.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  JGM replied 9 days ago.

Thanks for your question. It’s unlikely that the neighbour needed planning permission to change his garden. However I don’t think the planning side of things is relevant. Your neighbour has caused damage to your garden and has created an ongoing nuisance. There is, therefore, a civil claim based on tort, nuisance and possibly breach of the title deed provisions. You could intimate and pursue a claim for restitution and damages. You will need to instruct a local civil court solicitor to help you with this. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited by JustAnswer for helping you today.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
According to you are only allowed permeable materials to pave your garden. How do I stand in accordance to this.
Expert:  JGM replied 8 days ago.

No idea. That is a specialised area with which a I am not acquainted. However if that is the case it will strengthen the case I have already outlined for you.


Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How much will it cost me to get a local civil court solicitor to help me with this?
Expert:  JGM replied 8 days ago.

Typically £180 to £260 per hour.