How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 15144
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

The council have offered me a maisonette we need 3 bedrooms

This answer was rated:

The council have offered me a maisonette we need 3 bedrooms so the living room will have to be a bedroom. The biggest problem is the garden is small (which I don’t mind) but has 9 40ft conifer trees at the back of the garden. So there is no natural light coming into the property. It’s not got any grass just lots of rubble glass and full of deep holes with huge chunks of concrete all scattered. To big and heavy to lift. Does the council have any obligation to cut the trees down and level the garden if I ask. I will be living there forever I’m disabled so is one of my children. I can’t afford to do it alone. But it’s unsafe to use .


Thank you for your query. Is the property owned by the Council?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I’ve already paid for your services. Could you answer the question please. There is no more to add. I am disabled my son is disabled. I want to know are the council responsible if I ask to remove the trees and make the garden safe from debris to large for a person to remove


If this is a rented property, unfortunately, the Council have an obligation to chop down the trees and landscape the garden. Although, they do have an obligation to clear the property of any debris.

I hope this answers your questions. if so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback. if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks

INC Law and 5 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Did you mean they DO have an obligation to cut the trees?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is a council property I will be living in for ever. So I would like the trees gone so we can have some light


They have an obligation to tody the garden and make sure it not overgrown.

With reference to the trees, you will need to speak to the Council to see if they will cut them down. The trees may have tree preservation orders on them.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Many thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They don’t have a preservation order. They are conifers. I have already checked there is no tpo on the trees. So would they have to cut them down for reasons of me needing to put a fence up to keep my disabled child secure . There is an allotment behind and lots of fields. My son is 13 with the mental age of a 3/4 year old. He wanders off and it’s unsafe without a fence to guard him.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello are you able to answer?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi I have paid for a service? I haven’t been given any concrete answer. Do you know if I can by law expect the council to cut the trees down on their own property so I can make it safe for my son?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok so just to clarify you are unable or unwilling to help.
You are clearly not a lawyer or Soliceter as your spelling mistakes and the 2nd answer made no sense at all. You are taking advantage of vulnerable people. I will be requesting a refund and also I have a Soliceter I can speak with at DASH tomorrow that will be looking into this fraudulent site. I wanted an answer today as I need to give an answer by tomorrow at 10 am. You have been no help at all. I will send you the outcome on the review of your site by email. In the meantime I expect my money returned in the form it was taken through PayPal. You could not answer my question and a professional would not have such made so many mistakes in the paragraphs you wrote.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Still nothing?


Sorry for the delay, I was mobile so unable to respond. Please excuse the spelling as I am trying to type off my phone and the keys are not very big.

You will have to speak with the housing department of your local council and ask them to cut back the trees and clear the property of any debris before your occupation. They do have an obligation to do this.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards