Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We are trying to work out if our shop lease is full

Customer Question

We are trying to work out if our shop lease is full repairing as the roof needs repairs. The lease mentions drains/services but not structural elements.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: It says: )
To keep the whole of the demised premises and all additions thereto and the decorations thereof and the Landlord's fixtures and fittings therein and the drains and other services serving the same in good and substantial repair and condition throughout the term and to replace by new articles of at least equal quality any fixtures fittings plan or equipment which is damaged worn out or
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: York UK
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Second part of the extract: unusable but the Tenant need not do so where the disrepair is caused by a risk against which the Landlord has covenanted in this Lease to insure or by any additional risk against which the Landlord has insured except where the insurance money is irrecoverable through an act or omission of the Tenant or any person deriving title under the Tenant AND PROVIDED ALWAYS THAT
the Tenant shall not be obliged to put the demised premises in any better state or condition than evidenced in a Schedule of Condition attached to the lease of the demised premises dated 27 September 2000 and made between (1) the Landlord and (2) the Tenant ("the Previous Lease").
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 days ago.

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 days ago.

Forgive me, but isnt the roof part of 'To keep the whole of the demised premises'?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
a trade org we consulted said they felt it wasn't clear so we need to check that's the case. Is your view that is it then?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 days ago.

Sadly I dont think it can be any clearer. The WHOLE of the demised.

I am sorry. Does that clarify?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 day ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.