UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Liverpool City Council run a landlord licensing scheme. The

Liverpool City Council run a landlord licensing scheme. The licence is valid for (up to!) 5 years. They are going through a consultation period to determine whether they can continue and the outcome will be known by end of Feb. I have tenants moving in to a property on Friday and the council say a licence has to be in place. It is assumed that they will be granted permission to continue there selective licensing scheme but under new terms - meaning that I (and all landlords) will have to apply again.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Effectively turning what should be a f5 year licence into a 6 week licence - at the same cost.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, except that I have one other property that is licensed so I have already passed their fit and proper person test.

It would appear that the proposal to extend the scheme has been rejected, please see this news story just published https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/shock-government-suddenly-scraps-scheme-17554888

All the best. Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you think this negates the requirement to have a licence in place between now and March, and would I be able to challenge it if the council were insistent. Many thanks for your help.

The current scheme is in force so I would say you are required to have a licence between now and March when it expires. You may consult with the council again as to what they think as they may change their mind given the refusal to extend the scheme for another 5 years.

All the best. Please leave a positive rating.