How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 8017
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am not married but jointly own 2 properties with my

This answer was rated:

I am not married but jointly own 2 properties with my partner. Neither property has any mortgage as they have been paid off in full. As part of the settlement we have agreed to transfer the joint ownership ( all registered with land registry) so that we own 1 property each. To arrange this administration do I have to have a solicitor charge for a bankruptcy search, land registration fee, land registration official copies and land registry priority search?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No. I have received a quote outlining the above costs. Both properties are already registered with Land Registry service. Just need confirmation that I have to submit to all these sections
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: Wales
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Both are joint tenancy agreed ownership with 50% equal ownership


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Unfortunately, yes, you will have to pay the mentioned disbursements and fees. I note you have not referred to any local/water/environmental searches and you would not have to pay the fees for these searches if you did not wish to do so.

Technically speaking if you really did not wish to do so then you could decline to obtain a bankruptcy search/priority search, but it really is advisable to do so to avoid any registration difficulties and they would cost less than £15 in total so there really isn’t a reasons to not get them.

I would say that if one property each is being registered in your favour and your partners favour then you may choose to ask to split paying the legal fees and disbursements with your partner to spread the costs since it is to benefit both of you.

Essentially though, yes you would have to pay the fees/disbursements listed.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you