Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have a query about the duty of an executor of a will to

Customer Question

I have a query about the duty of an executor of a will to distribute proceeds from an estate in a timely manner.
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: I am a British citizen living in Republic of Ireland, the estate in question is in England and is being settled there.
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Final statement of probate and a copy of the relevant will.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The will is not contested and all the debts on the estate have already been settled. There is only the matter of disbursing the proceeds from the estate but the executor is being very obstructive about doing so.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 12 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 12 days ago.

1. An executor in England or Ireland has a similar length of time, being 12 months and known as the "executor's year" within which to gather in the assets of the estate and distribute the proceeds to the beneficiaries. After this period has elapsed, the executor can be replaced. So, in your situation, if this period of time has elapsed, you should threaten the executor with an application for removal if you wish them to distribute the assets, now they have gathered them in. However, if a year has not gone bye since the Grant of Probate, then you have little remedy.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 12 days ago.

2. Thank you for using the website. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.