Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am at the end of my contract where I was renting out a

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am at the end of my contract where I was renting out a room.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: This was not through an estate agent - this was a private rented property. The issue is a dispute over the amount of rent owed for my final month - my notice period The notice period is 4 weeks - which would normally require me to owe £429, however the landlord advertised my room early and got a reservation.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: I was told that the person wanted to move in on the 19th Jan 2020, and my pro rata rent would be reduced accordingly - however the landlord requested that I vacate the room and hand over the keys by monday 6th November Nottingham
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm not sure what else would be needed? how much would the fee be for this please before you connect me?

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have since found out that they have rented the room to another tenant. The tenant moved in on 7th Jan 2020, however they are still charging me for my notice period of up to 19th January.

I am not quite with you, could you be a little clearer on who gave notice to who and what dates?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
As this was a private landlord - i.e. not through an estate agents,
notice was given by myself to the Landlord via text message on Friday 20th December.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I gave notice to the Landlord on 20th December

Ok, to move out when?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
According to my contract, my 4 week notice period would mean my tenancy ended on 31st January
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The clause states: The tenant giving written notice of at least four weeks and expiring on the last day of a rental period of tenancy

Ok. I got that. But 4 weeks doesnt that take you to 17th Jan, 4 weeks?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I believe the 'rental period' means that it would continue till the end of the month
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
however, the issue I have is with the amount that they are requesting me to pay.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
My rent is £429 a month, and they advised that I would be charged pro rata up until the 19th Jan.

When do you usually pay rent?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
rent is due on the 1st of the month
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
However, the landlord advised that someone had viewed my room, and reserved it to move in on the 19th January.

They requested that I vacate the room and leave the keys by Monday 6th January.

Ok,. So it would expire end of Jan.

Does the Landlord live in?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
no - live out landlord
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
so my issue, is that they requested me to vacate the room, and leave the keys (whereby I would have no access to the property) by 6th January - which would be approx 2 weeks short of the 'amended' notice period
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
in addition - I have recently found out that they have rented the room to another tenant - the tenant moved in on 7th January 2019.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
*in addition - I have recently found out that they have rented the room to another tenant - the tenant moved in on 7th January 2020
.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
so for the period between 7th January 2020 - they are charging me rent for my notice period (whereby I have no access to the property) whilst at the same time, renting my room to another tenant.

Ok. If notice was given 20th Dec it would take effect from end Jan.

Then the Landlord can NOT get you out early.

You have given proper notice. The Landlord can't change the notice terms.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
well, my question actually is, am I liable to pay for rent during the period of 7th January - 19th January, whilst the Landlord has the keys and is renting my room out to another tenant?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have already given them the keys

No, that is the answer.