UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have a question regarding "leasehold share of freehold"

I have a question regarding "leasehold share of freehold" rights when signing/not signing over transfer. Can you help?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I own a flat and my neighbour (the other half of this arrangement) wants to sell his flat to a company. I am concerned of costs coming my way in future when I need to sell but they are unwilling to discuss what costs they may charge me for transferring freehold. Do I have any rights?
JA: Where is the leasehold located?
Customer: eastbourne,UK
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this free of charge?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I live in a terraced property that was converted years ago into 2 flats. Each flat has "Leashold share of freehold". Recently my neighbour put his flat up for sale and is selling to Homewise, a company for retirement properties. I have been asked to sign over the freehold/lease transfer document. However, I have asked first that a clause be included that neither party may charge for this service and they are refusing to do this. I have not yet signed the transfer papers since I am not in agreement that I should now be at a financial disadvantage when I sell my flat (not knowing what fees I may need to pay).
What are my rights not to sign and could my neighbour sue me if the sale falls through?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank you

You are within your rights not to sign unless you have agreed that you will not refuse to sign unreasonably. You may be taken to court, however whether or not your neighbour wins in court is a different matter.

I would advise you to retain a solicitor who is able to review all the documents and advise you accordingly.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you. This is helpful.