How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 23353
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

Assistant: How can I help? I have a fixed term contract for

This answer was rated:

Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a fixed term contract for 12 months, no break clause. Unfortunately, due to working reasons I have to leave the UK and stop the contract. The landlord is not happy and said I will pay the contract and the utilities until a new tenant will be found. Is there anything I can do ?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: Stratford
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Hi I sent it previously

The reason that you need to move is irrelevant.

If it was easy to end the contract, like this, there would be no point in having one in the first place.

The landlord is under a duty to mitigate his loss and that would involve him trying to get a new tenant otherwise you would be responsible until a new tenant is found.

If you continue to pay the rent there is no incentive on the landlord to try to get a new tenant.

On the other hand if you are no longer in the UK, it’s not going to particularly easy for the landlord to pursue you for the rent. If you therefore stop paying it gives him a bit more incentive to try to get a new tenant as opposed to the alternative of taking you to court.

If I have answered your question for you, at the top of the page, you should see a rating facility. Can you please rate my reply 3 stars or more because that really helps me? Please note you are not rating whether it’s favourable, because sometimes you may not get the answer you want, but basically my knowledge and way of dealing.

The thread does not close and I am happy to answer any questions you may have arising from this.

Kind regards

Stuart J and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Actually the contract it's between me and my ex-girlfriend. I am going to another country and she left the property with notice 2 months ago. That means that in case I don't pay they will track her down ? Apart form that do I have to pay council tax and other utilities ?