Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I ended my tenancy early with the landlords agreement,

Hi, I ended my tenancy early with the landlords agreement, provided they found a tenant
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: they found a tenant but the tenant didn’t have sufficient funds on the day the lettings agency were to hand him the keys
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: We had moved already but the landlord now wants us to pay the rent for another month which we didn’t even live in
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Birmingham
Hi thank you for your messsge, given the landlord has already located another tenant as agreed you would be correct to feel aggrieved by the demand for the rent. Therefore, you may wish to negotiate with the landlord and indicate you fulfilled your obligation another tenant was found and you are no longer in the property. That said if the landlord continues to push for the rent you are likely best served by paying to avoid any adverse actions such as a court application for the rent. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thank you for your response, if I was to take it to court, what are the chances I would win? Do have any legal legs to stand on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could you please tell me what my legal rights are as a tenant in this matter?
Hi thank you for your message, well you could refuse to pay and then your landlord could take you to court I think you would stand a good chance of winning as you relied to guru detriment on the agreement of your landlord so even if legally you would still be obligated to pay under something called promissory estoppel the court can decide you shouldn’t pay as it would be unfair.
I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.