How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7022
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have the following problem: I am renting (together with

Customer Question

Hello! I have the following problem:
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I am renting (together with another friend) a two-bedroom flat in London Marylebone. October (about 3 to 4 months ago) I have reported a problem we have with hot water in our showers. The agency that manages the property (Life Residential) claims on their webpage, that they will address sanitary issues like hot water within 2 to 3 working days. Twice a contractor has been sent but they did not do anything - just reported that a piece in one shower is broken that causes the issue. I constantly need to call them, email them to check that they make progress in fixing it but it still is not fixed but they keep postponing (excuses such as, the contractor is on holiday, etc.). I would like to hire a lawyer that deals with this problem and inform me about my rights. I intend to sue the agency or landlord, however, I need to know on what grounds I can do that.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: W1H 5PQ Marylebone
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks!
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 5 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you this evening.

can I ask, who is your local council?.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hello Jim, thank you!
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
My local council is the City of Westminster.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 4 days ago.

Hi, sorry for the delay (I had an appointment).

Thank you for confirming the council - they should be notified of the issues you are having with the landlord as they can deal with these for you. Lack of hot water is a serious issue - by law, landlords must provide heating and hot running water to the property. They also have to ensure the property is in good repair under S.11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. If they do not, they face prosecution by the local council and can be fined. It would also be breach of contract on their part and you would be within your rights to terminate the tenancy agreement.

I recommend you go to the following site to report the problems :

The council should send an inspector and they will also make contact with the landlord with a view to trying to resolve the issues.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 4 days ago.

If for some reason the council cannot help, you would either have the option of paying for repairs yourself and withholding rent or to instruct a plumbing and heating engineer to come out and fix the problem and you then pursue the landlord for the money.

If the landlord does not pay or if they refuse for whatever reason, you can sue them in the county court for your losses on the money claim site ( although I recommend sending the landlord a letter before action to warn them of your intentions first and allow them 14 days to reimburse you. If they do not reimburse, you are free to issue a claim.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 3 days ago.

I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if anything requires clarification. In the meantime if you could either leave a star rating, or reply “yes”, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,