How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10513
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Assistant: How can I help? My landlord isn’t good, however I

This answer was rated:

Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My landlord isn’t good, however I do not have direct contact with her but instead an agency. Agreed on only certain furniture to be in the property when moving in, however this was not the case and more furniture was left which she said she would remove but has not. Also asked for keys for the windows as they are all unlocked and I have not been provided with a key for them. Had a break in about a week ago and still haven’t been provided with the keys. The landlord/agency has also ignored me on various other matters. I no longer feel safe in the property. My mental health is suffering since the break in and I am having to stay with family. I still haven’t been provided with window keys. I have asked the landlord to terminate the contract at 6 months instead of 12 and she’s disagreed. My contract started at the end of August 2019. I paid the full year up front but since doing so the agency and landlord have not been good and ignore most of my simple requests for things I’m entitled too. I no longer feel safe living in the property and have bad anxiety when on my own there. Could you help with this as I’d like to get out of the contract?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: The most I have done is to request a contact termination which was declined. I’ve now contacted yourselves for further advice
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: In Birmingham, UK
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that’s everything

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

By law, landlords must ensure the property is in good repair under S.11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985.

If they do not, they face prosecution by the local council and can be fined. They also have to ensure your health and safety too. I recommend that you speak to the housing department at your council to ask them for their opinion on this - their email address is *****@******.*** and contact number 0121(###) ###-####/strong>.

In terms of the furniture being there and the issue with the keys, this may not be enough to say the landlord is in a major breach of the agreement sufficient for you to move out. They are however supposed to ensure your health and safety so like I say, if you speak to the housing department and ask them whether they agree that the landlord's conduct amounts to breach of contract. You refer to "other matters" so if you want me to refine the answer taking those in to account too then no problem, just let me know what you are referring to.

I hope this helps – if you can please give a positive rating by clicking 5 stars (at the top of your screen), I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and 3 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you