How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7233
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am joint freeholder of a property (2 flats). Our flat

This answer was rated:

I am joint freeholder of a property (2 flats). Our flat (ground floor) has been rented out. The current tenant has a dog (agreed on entry). The neighbour above says that we have broken the leashold agreement that states there should be written agreement to have an animal in the flat. What action can the neighbour take against us?


The neighbour may bring a claim for breach of contract against you in court and seek for damages.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
we emailed the neighbour before the tenant arrived and asked her views on the animal. She asked about the size of the dog and we confirmed it was a small dog and quiet (as we believed at the time). Does that count has her agreeing?

No, asking would not count as agreeing I am afraid.

Please click on 5 stars

UKSolicitorJA and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
would the process of her seeking damages be time consuming and costly?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the original agreement talks about the lessor needing to give permission to the lessee. As both us and the neighbour are lessors, do we both need to give permission to have animals in the flat?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Yes, it would be and she may not go to court after all. Furthermore, damages are to put her in the position she would have been had the breach not occurred. It would be up to her to show what loss is being caused to her by the breach.

Yes, both of you need to give consent.

I await your positive rating please.