UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am completing on a mortgage that will replace my current

I am completing on a mortgage that will replace my current mortgage, give me a new extended lease of 100 years AND pay off a bridging loan. The Mortgage company solicitors are dealing with it now and have given me a draft mortgage deed and they have requested a small amendment to the lease agreement, which is getting signed off by lease holder now (who unfortunately lives abroad, so is taking some time). The bridging loan company are now starting proceedings to repossess my home. I would like to know, how long does it take to repossess someone's home. Can they lock me out in a week for instance or does it have to go to court and how long would that take. Also, do I need a solicitor to help defend the repossess order. THANK YOU

They would need to go to court to get a possession order against you first and it may take several months for this.

Please see here to help you understand the process better: https://england.shelter.org.uk/legal/home_ownership/mortgage_arrears_court_action/possible_defences

The principle is the same i.e. mortgage company and bridging loan company (assuming they have a charge) are both creditors/lenders and have to follow the same procedure.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars