Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I currently live in a housing association property but have

Hello I currently live in a housing association property but have just lost my dad who has left his home/estate to myself
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: However the house is not large enough for me and 3 children to live in so I wanted to rent it out
Assistant: Where is the home located?
Customer: Is this a possibility
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know ways I can go round having to sell my dads home
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am located in colne lancashire..no paperwork done as yet

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I want to know how I can own a home and rent it out without being evicted from my council house

So you want to rent your council property out?

Sorry housing association ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No....I live in a council house however my dad has just passed away and left me his estate...its just a small 2 up 2 down house which I'd like to rent out rather than sell, as it's too small for me and my 3 boys to move into
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
too much sentimental value to sell as it was just me and dad who grew up in the house

Ok. Sadly you won't be able to.

It will be a term of your tenancy that this is your only home.
As such you will be in breach. You could then be evicted.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
could I sign it over to my children?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Or my brother

The house? You could but your Landlord may see this as trying to dispose of assets.

Does that clarify?

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But surely I'm entitled to sign my house to me children it's for their future

You can, but you are disposing of assets

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But can they evict me for that??

They could, yes.

You need to check your agreement to see if you are in or would be in breach.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What about if I sell it to him

yes you can sell at market value.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can sell at what I want?? Surely if I own it

No, because you may be disposing of an asset.

For example, you could sell for £100 when its worth £100,000.

You are trying to get around the system. You cant

Properties are there for people in need.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
but it's too small for me and my 3 children to move Into and I cant help having an inheritance..I'll see my solicitor tomorrow..thankyou for your time

All the best. If I could invite you to rate me 5 stars before you go today by clicking the button at the top of the screen, so the site credits me for the time spent. I am only paid when you rate. if you need further help please click reply. Thanks in advance.