Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

My landlord has requested access to my flat with way less

Hello, my landlord has requested access to my flat with way less than 24 hours, each time (3 different occasions) I have pointed out that I wish for him to honour our contract and give me at least 24h notice. Yesterday I got a call from an agency that is currently working on selling the flat and said that they were coming over for a viewing in 1.5h time. I had therefore need to leave work early to accommodate this with minimal warning.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I suspect that my landlord has accessed the flat without telling me but don’t have prof.
Assistant: Where is the flat located?
Customer: I don’t feel safe and would like to exit my contract which is due to end mid June 2020
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The flat is in east london
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do not feel safe in the flat as this has happened over several months and would therefore like to exit my contract which is due to finish on 14 June 2020.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm why do you not feel safe?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm suspecting that he is accessing the flat when I’m not home without telling me. But I don’t have any proof as he is denying it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It feels very unsettling that my privacy is not respected.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I’m not even sure how the agency he is using got my mobile number
Hi, thank you for your message. If you want to terminate the contract early you will need to show that the landlord has breached terms of the contract. I would advise that you write a formal complaint to the landlord setting out your claim and what you want I.e to leave terminate the contract early. If you do not get the answer that you expect you will need to write a formal complaint to your local council you can attach any email correspondence/text messages showing that the landlord or agency are requesting access in less than 24hrs. As a last result you can make a complaint to the housing ombudsman who's aim is to make things right and may award compensation. You can complain here: https://www.housing-ombudsman.org.uk/residents/understand-complaints-process/
I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much!

No problem.I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.