How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 17675
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Our fire alarm was set off at 4am on a weekday. We tried to

This answer was rated:

Our fire alarm was set off at 4am on a weekday. We tried to contact the emergency numbers the landlord left for us but all the phones were switched off. A fire engine arrived at about 5am who couldn't switch it off. We finally got through to the letting agency and the electrician came round at 9 30am. They inspected the alarms and said a build up of dust set off the alarm. Have we got a case to sue the landlord for ill inspection of the alarms?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No not yet
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: Brighton
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well there's traces of mice in the house and they're expecting us to pay for it which I don't believe to be corrrct

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Yes, but I dont think you can claim more than £10,000 or so.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and 6 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok brilliant. What counts as a 'loss'? Have they broken regulation by not inspecting the fire alarms?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would it be beneficial to get statements from the electricians who inspected the alarms?

Only if it was defective. But you can sue for distress etc.