Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I'm trying to remortgage my flat that I've owned since 2004.

Hi I'm trying to remortgage my flat that I've owned since 2004. Ex local authority property, was a one bed when purchased but since 2007,as a result of a fire its now a two bed. (applied for a change of room use via the Freeholders (the council), which was all approved. Whilst trying to get all my paperwork together for the new mortgage I notice that my building insurance policy still has the property as 1 bed instead of 2 bed. Im really worried that this will cause problems with my new mortgage going through to completion and also worried about the insured value for rebuild and premiums . Can you advise what I should do to rectify this? Also I'm not sure if the additional bedroom has been recorded with the land registry
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, not yet.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: in South London, in the borough of Lambeth
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it. I'm really worried that this could ruin my chances of getting the mortgage in the event the buildings insurance is deemed invalid by the new lender

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Good morning, I would like to wait, do you have any idea how much longer it could take?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Can't you just tell the insurers now its been modified?
I assume you had planning permission etc?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Jamie, many thanks for looking into my issue. Yes I plan to tell them,but I just wanted some advice on the issues if any, it could present in terms of the remortgage process, validity of my building insurance and any possible premium charges that may be imposed on myself as a result of additional bedroom.

Assuming you just tell your insurers and you had planning permission/building regs, it wont be a problem.

Insurance just covers risk. It will be a term of your mortgage that you have it insured. So by not having it insured correctly, you are likely to be in breach of the terms.

So get it done asap, then the position is regularised.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it possible to speak to you today? I'm happy to pay the £44 for your legal advice and knowledge. I just want to make sure that the advice I get is sound and accurate before I call the insurers and proceed with my remortgage. What time could we talk?

Yes, I can call today. Later this afternoon if that helps.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that would be fine. Is 4pm ok?

Sure.

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Great, should I pay prior to the call? Do I provide you with my contact details now?

I think a colleague has accepted the call