How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 16967
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I’ve been living with a partner for the last 3 years in a

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I’ve been living with a partner for the last 3 years in a flat that she owns and paying 1000 rent per month, due to her not being able to afford living in the place she has decided to move back to her parents house.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: she has giving me until the end of the month to find somewhere which I think is unreasonable
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Bushey Hertfordshire
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I’m leaving with my partner in a flat that she owns for the 3 years paying her 1k per month and the other day she springs it on me that she’s moving back to her parents house because she can’t afford to live in the place anymore, she’s found new tenants already and telling me I have to be out by the end of the month which isn’t enough time for me to find a new place, do I have any rights?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 months ago.

Good morning. i will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

there is no tenancy agreement between you?

is this a rental or does she own it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No tenancy agreement and she owns the place
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 months ago.

I’m sorry to say that as a lodger, even paying rent, she only has to give you one month notice. Surprisingly, it doesn’t even have to be in writing.

It gets worse:

if you don’t leave, she can actually lock you out provided she gives you your belongings back. She doesn’t even need a court order.

You may have a financial claim on the property in respect of the money you have been paying if that contributed towards the fabric of the property but it doesn’t give you the right to stay longer than the one month notice.

I am sorry, I know it’s not the answer you wanted.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

Thank you.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.