How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 943
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

Dear, I have 2 years contract for my shop. I believe my

Customer Question

Hi dear, I have 2 years contract for my shop. I believe my shop's rent is too high , After passed 14 month I knew my earnings and expenses is going to blanche. I asking my landlord to drop the rent several times but he ignored me. By the way my rent is more than double compare to other shops in my area.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Bristol
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Send several emails and verbal communication with my landlord
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 11 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm have you looked into renting somewhere else?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Because I spend around £ 10000 to repair and Furnish the shop to start my business already
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It's supposed to extend my contract after 2 years
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
My contract is a subrent
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. It is for the landlord to decide the amount. You will need to try to negotiate with the landlord. You should write a letter stating your full claim and what you want from the landlord, a reasonable amount and attach all evidence to support your claim. If you want to dispute it further you will need to take the matter to court. I would advise that you find a solicitor in your area to represent you. . You can find a solicitor through the law society using this function: (you will be able to search by area of expertise and location).

I hope this helps. - if you can please accept the answer there will be a box to do so and give me a 5 star rating (top right corner of your screen) and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.