How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3333
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

My flat is in a building that is split into 5 flats. We

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My flat is in a building that is split into 5 flats. We purchased the freehold several years ago and are all joint owners of the freehold. No maintenance work has happened to the building in over 10 years and none of us have been paying into a fund for works. Now the building is in a bad state of repairs and i consider it to be dangerous. Some of the freeholders have advised they do not have any money to pay for any works.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, nothing has been done so far I have had quotes for the works that need to be carried out on the building.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: London - west kensington
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: 4 out of the three freeholders rent out their flat.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 1 month ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 1 month ago.

Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience. It is quite unfortunate that you all have not forward planned to save for maintenance and repair works. If the other freeholders cannot afford and others can it may be a case of those that can afford meeting the cost so the essential work is done before tenants start pursuing for damages or worse still reporting you to the Council who may take enforcement action and who if the health and safety of occupants is at risk issue enforcement notice for occupants to vacate. Should those that afford fund the work they will be able to pursue the joint freeholders who have not paid their share for reimbursment. I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best