How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4173
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I'm currently living in a converted proprety. Was previously

Customer Question

Hi. I'm currently living in a converted proprety. Was previously a light commercial workshop and is now a 2 bedroom self contained flat. It appears that there was no planning application for a change of use. if the LPA issue an enforcement notice, can I be evicted with immediate effect. Who pays for temporary accommodation is another matter but I' more concerned with whether I can be forcibly removed from the building at the drop of a hat?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: an application was made some time ago but it was refused. Guess I have been living on borrowed time, but no new application has been made. Im thinking of a PDR from a B1c to C3?
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: at the back of a shop in westcliff on sea
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's all thanks
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 7 months ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 7 months ago.

Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience. How long you have to either try and remedy the situation or to leave will be at your council's sole discretion and it will depend on whether they consider the breach minor or serious and on whether you have submitted a retrospective application for the permission. If you have complained and a decision has already been made that the breach cannot be remedied you would generally have 4 weeks to submit your appeal. If you have already appealed and it has been refused then you can be evicted from immediately to no later than 6 months. your Council will have this information for you and if fortunate it would be on their website to save you from asking directly in case that triggers them looking into your property and speeding up action. I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best