Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My daughter divorced her husband in March 2018. The children

Customer Question

My daughter divorced her husband in March 2018. The children stayed with him in the family home and the court ordered our jointly owned house to be put on sale by 21/7/2020. He lives rent free so it is in his interests to delay sale as long as possible. How can she stop him obstructing the sale?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: She has not yet started the process but we are anticipating problems with the sale. What papers can we file in family court?
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: They are not talking to each other so she will have to act without his agreement. I t was a very acrimonious divorce
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The house has about £200,000 net equity and my daughter is currently renting.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 7 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, if she feels he is unreasonably delaying the sale she can get an order for sale from the court which allows her to obtain control of the property and sell it. I hope this helps, if you can please rate me 5 stars in the top right of your screen that would be appreciated so that Just Answer pay me for my time.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
How long does she prove that he is trying to stop the sale by messing up the or refusing to co-operate in the sale
Hi thank you for your message, well a typical sale takes a couple of months so anything longer than that but if she can show he is taking steps to prevent a sale such as refusing visits from buyers that kind of thing then she could apply sooner.
I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.