UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have an annex with a lodger, I stipulated that the shared

Hi I have an annex with a lodger, I stipulated that the shared areas were in the main house and left a key in a safety box for them to access.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Yes, sorry the lodger has signed an agreement lodgers agreement from a template and i stipulated the shared areas. The annex I can access anytime and clean daily and she can access main house but hasn’t yet. There is a kitchen in her annex I don’t use at the moment but want to make that a shared area
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Uk England
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, I’m wanting to know the steps I need to take to make changes to the shared area and if I need to take any further action to make sure she can’t cause me of having a different type of tenancy agreement

Please upload a copy of the lodger agreement.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I’ll have to find it could be five minutes

okay.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi sorry took a while.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi if you can let me know when to expect a reply. Thanks

You may enter into a new Lodger Agreement with the revised details of the Shared Areas, or you may both sign a letter saying that the Lodger Agreement is amended as follows:

The definition of Shared Areas shall be: xxxxxx

All other terms and conditions in the Lodger Agreement shall remain the same.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
One more question. Because the lodger is in the annex which is separate from the house. I have unlimited access, a key I go in daily to clean. Do I need shared access of the living space in there as well if any lodger doesn’t have shared access of the main house or will daily entry and cleaning be enough for it to be a lodgers agreement.

Shared occupation is important so you should make it a point to regularly access the shared areas to avoid the lodger saying they have exclusive occupation and are therefore a tenant having protection from eviction rights.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you that is really useful.

You are welcome.

Please click on 5 stars so that I may close this question.