Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

I have had an email from a local council stating I owe

Customer Question

I have had an email from a local council stating I owe overpayment of housing benefit from 2012 is this still in the tome frame allowed
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: peterborough
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: they have sent me letters to a family members house and applied to have a deduction of earnings from an old employer
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they were paying the landlord direct and I have made rent payments in the same time period
Expert:  Ross Miller replied 16 days ago.

Hello my name is Ross and I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.

please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

The answer to your question is yes. The DWP or any benefit provider can claim back any overpayments for a period of 12 years (they will usually take court action before 6 years). If they were paying the landlord direct then you will have to contact the DWP and state that it was not you who received the overpayments. My best advice would be to enlist the help of the Citizens Advice Bureau. Getting through to the DWP can be a nightmare and the Citizens Advice have special phone numbers not available to the public where they can speak to an senior person a lot quicker than the public so I would advise enlisting their help to get a resolution to this matter. If you dispute it and for some reason it transpires that you do owe the money then you can offer to make a repayment plan.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Ross

Expert:  Ross Miller replied 13 days ago.

Ross

Expert:  Ross Miller replied 10 days ago.

Ross