Helen Hill
Helen Hill, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB Law, Licensed Conveyancer and Probate Practitioner, Fellow of CILEx, Trust and Estates Practitioner (STEP)
102395076

I am considering the cash purchase of a leasehold property.

I am considering the cash purchase of a leasehold property. I have been advised that the lease expires in 3008, is it normal to have a lease that runs for that length of time? What other considerations do I need to make for purchasing a leasehold ground floor flat? Is there a standard document/agreement that will detail my responsibilities for the upkeep of the entire property?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, I want to engage with a surveyor first
JA: Where is the leasehold located?
Customer: Aspatria in Cumbria
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, will the lawyer just connect on webchat like this or will this be a chargeable service

Thank you for your question. I am a licensed conveyancer so will be able to assist.

It is quite common for a lease to be granted for 999 years. In the original lease that was granted there will be terms and restrictions that you will need to agree to as a leaseholder. This might involve the payment of a management charge to the freeholder in order to maintain any common parts of the building and to cover overall buildings insurance. Your solicitor will be able to obtain a copy of the original lease so that you can understand what responsibilities you will have before agreeing a purchase. Alternatively you should be able to obtain a copy from the Land Registry website as the leasehold will be a registered title and a copy of that lease should be lodged with them.

I hope this is helpful. Is there anything else I can assist with?