How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 15143
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

Looking to buy a building with a shop underneath and a flat

This answer was rated:

Looking to buy a building with a shop underneath and a flat above. It is freehold. I’d like to buy the shop with my Sipp and the flat with a mortgage. What Is the best way to go about this? Can I split the deeds and if so roughly how much would this cost?


Thank you for your query. You woul be able to split the title, provided the lease for the upper flat is drafted correctly, this should not be a problem.

I would strongly suggest that you instruct a solicitor to do this for you. The cost of drafting a Lease would be approx £1500. The split of the title would be approximately £600 plus VAT.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks - given that I haven’t obviously bought the building yet, then could this be done by the current owner in advance?


Yes, definitely especiallif there is no mortgage or even of ghere is, he can prepare all the documents and the do it upon completion.

As I have answered your original question, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Your question will not close and I will be happy to answer any follow up questions.

many thanks

INC Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you