How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 23354
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I have a property in Corfu jointly owned by myself and my

This answer was rated:

I have a property in Corfu jointly owned by myself and my husband I’m starting divorce proceedings and want to know what I can do about the property???
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: A solicitor is sending a letter to my husband asking agreement on a divorce after 2 years sepetation
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Staffordshire
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My husband withheld the keys until July and is not very cooperative

The property in Corfu is dealt with in exactly the same way that all UK properties and assets are dealt with BUT to avoid having to enforce a sale in Corfu, in respect of any divorce financial order, it would make sense for you to have your share of the property in the UK and he can do what he likes with the one in Corfu if the one in Corfu is in his sole name for example.

Otherwise, everything goes into the pot and gets divided in the same way.

The UK court can order the property in Corfu sold and can actually (for persistent breaches) castigate him (to the point of putting him in jail) if he refuses to do so.

If I have answered your question for you, at the top of the page, you should see a rating facility. Can you please rate my reply 3 stars or more because that really helps me? Please note you are not rating whether it’s favourable, because sometimes you may not get the answer you want, but basically my knowledge and way of dealing.

The thread does not close and I am happy to answer any questions you may have arising from this.

Kind regards

Stuart J and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We don’t have a property in England and my husband is living quite happily on his pensions as well as working part time.
I am however living in a one bedroom flat owned by Apire

We spoke