ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

My ex-partner built a garden studio in my garden some years

My ex-partner built a garden studio in my garden some years ago. He paid for the building at the time of it’s construction. He has apparently contacted a solicitor and says he is legally allowed to remove the building from my land with the owners permission. The owner of the property is actually my father but I live here and my father has never lived here. Where do I stand legally?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: i have not taken any steps so far, I have only received an email from my ex partner about this today
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: in Cornwall
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you

On what basis was it built

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was a garden studio for me to use for my business, and my partner also used it as his office space at the time

A gift or something else

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was something we decided to do to the house as an improvement but the terms were not agreed
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We were planning on repaying it jointly but I became unwell and was signed off work sick, and still am

Let me see if I am help and please rate 5. His understanding of the law is wrong and even if it was correct he says he can only remove with the owners consent. The owner does not give consent. In any event the studio was a joint project. He can makes claim against you financially but not to remove the studio. Please rate 5 stars

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay thank you

Ok